I blog primarily over at "geosciblog" (http://geosciblog.blogspot.com), I am doing this one for fun. It is inspired by 30+ years of beer can collecting and having tried more than 3,000 different American beers during that time. “. . . And beer was drunk with reverence, as it ought to be.” — G. K. Chesterton

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Though it is Late in the Season...

I found a summer seasonal beer that is worth mentioning. [Again, I am not an expert, but rather a learned-student.]

Because I simply don't have the cash to buy a sixpack of everything that hits the market (and sometimes it's difficult to determine how fresh some beers are), I prefer to buy single bottles of microbrews, until I find a variety that I like, then I spring for a sixpack.

On a recent trip to Athens, GA, I visited ABC Package Store, one of the few places that allows the sale of single 12 oz. bottles of American microbrews. Among the beers I picked up was Red Brick Summer Hefe-Weizen (from Atlanta Brewing Co.) and when I tried it that evening, I was very pleased.

Not everyone likes the characteristics of Hefeweizens, which are cloudy, unfiltered wheat beers that still retain their yeast. They are not as "citrusy" and tart as many Belgian beers/ales, but I like the American ones with enough of the characteristic flavors that contrast them with "regular" wheat beers.

On the Beer Advocate website, Hefeweizens are described as such:

"...Traditional German Hefeweizen yeast-strains yield phenolic smells and flavors, which are sometimes medicinal and/or clove-like. Fruity esters, higher alcohol contents, bubble-gum, vanilla and the trademark fruity banana flavors are also by-products of the yeast's handiwork.

Traditional German Hefeweizen yeast-strains yield phenolic smells and flavors, which are sometimes medicinal and/or clove-like. Fruity esters, higher alcohol contents, bubble-gum, vanilla and the trademark fruity banana flavors are also by-products of the yeast's handiwork."

The more American-style Hefeweizens that I can think of presently include Shiner Hefeweizen, Leinenkugel Summer Wheat, Pyramid Hefeweizen, Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen, Harpoon UFO, Redhook Hefeweizen, and a few others.

The Red Brick Summer Hefe-Weizen had that delicate, but noticeable characteristic flavors that I like in this style of beer. I seem to remember Widmer Brothers and Pyramid used to have that flavor, but the Widmer I had last night didn't have it and I haven't had Pyramid in a few years.

An Atlanta brewpub that closed a few years ago, Atlanta Beer Garten, had an excellent Hefeweizen (in my opinion) and when still-brewed in Austin, Texas (before Miller got involved), Celis White Beer was excellent.

I bought a bottle of Blue Moon Belgian White for comparison's sake and it has been a few years since I tried this brand, so I will see if it has the flavor I am looking for.

The problem is, a number of the American Hefeweizens are brewed for the summertime, so many stores are already sold out of Red Brick Hefe-Weizen. Red Brick's winter seasonal is a dark holiday Porter, which I liked last year. In a few more days, I will give that a try.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?